A few years ago I was given a book called Cakes to Celebrate Love and Life today I was flipping through trying to find a cake to make for my lovely husband for valentines day. Well my friends did I ever find a cake. I give to you a Mojito in a cake, what more could you ask for?
This book is a must buy for any cake lover, from the Fresh Coconut cake to White Chocolate cupcakes, they can do no wrong. Check out Cakes to Celebrate Love and Life on Amazon, and order your copy today. I promise you will not be disappointed.
-Mojito Cupcakes from Cakes to Celebrate Love and Life.-
1/2 cup mint leaves
Zest of 2 limes
3/4 cup hot milk
1 1/2 cups cake flour
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp bicarb soda
1/4 tsp salt
125 g butter
1 cup sugar
2 eggs - at room temp
1/2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tbsp rum
To make the cupcakes:
Preheat oven to 180 C.
1. Add the mint leaves to the hot milk and let them steep for 15 minutes. Remove mint and let the milk cool slightly.
2. Sift together flour, baking powder, bicarb, and salt.
3. Put butter into stand mixer bowl and beat until creamy. Add the sugar and continue beating until mixture is light and fluffy
4. Add the eggs, one at a time. Then slowly mix in lemon zest, rum, and Vanilla Essence.
5. Lower the speed of the mixer and slowly start adding warm milk and flour.
6. Fill muffin liners half full and bake for about 20 minutes.
7. Let these cool and get started on the meringue icing.
For the icing:
4 egg whites at room temp
1 cup sugar
a pinch of salt
1. In a heatproof bowl combine the egg whites, salt, and sugar.
2. Set over a pan of simmering water and whisk continuously for 3 to 5 minutes until sugar has dissolved and mixture is hot to the touch.
3. Attach the bowl to your stand mixer, with the whisk attachment.
4. Beat on low for two minutes and then switch to high for five minutes until mixture has cooled and stiff peaks form. Use immediately.