Pages

Friday, February 11, 2011

A heart shaped cake and some Canon love

Let me start off this post by saying that I am like a dyslexic newborn puppy. I have no (read none, zilch) hand eye coordination what –so-ever. It makes life interesting and means I am a clumsy and have difficulty doing things delicately. In this case that would be decorating a cake.  Unlike my mother the cake decorating maven (more on her abilities soon), the best I can do is scrape icing onto a cake. Forget the fancy twirls  and swirls, they are not happening. The one and only time I tried something my husband compared my flower and vine creation to a road map.  

That being said I still like baking, and will continue to leave the creative stuff up to those who have the god given ability.  Instead I will stick to my schmear of butter cream; Its good enough for my husband and therefore its good enough for me. So here my foodie friends I give you my super yummy, if less than creatively decorated valentines cake. I used a recipe I found in Cakes to Celebrate Love and Life. It turned out really well, except I thought it should have been a bit lighter. The cake turns out quite dense. Even so it was heavenly and I hope you enjoy. I added pictures this time too- taken with my trusty Canon Rebel XTi


-White Chocolate Cupcakes 
from 

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
100g White chocolate, chopped 
75 g butter softened
3/4 cup sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup + 1 tbsp milk

Preheat oven to 170 C

1. In a medium bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Set this aside. 
2. In a double boiler melt the chocolate until smooth. 
3. Cream together sugar and butter. Add in eggs one at a time. 
4. Add the vanilla and white chocolate to the sugar, butter, and egg mixture. 
5. Alternately add the flour mixture and milk, always ending with the flour. 
6. Mix until just combined and pour into prepared tin. 
Bake for 20-30 minutes until the center springs back when lightly pressed. 

ENJOY!

A note on the photography: I had to add this in here because I know my good friend Michael Sewell, who is by far the most amazing photographer I have ever met, will be turning up his nose at the mention of Canon.  I love my little Canon and always will. However if any of you decide you want to buy me my dream Nikon, I wont stop you.  Until then, you will all just have to deal with my Canon love. 
Don't forget to check out what Michael Sewell and his Nikon can do. He is an amazing photographer and a truly great friend. I was lucky enough to have him shoot my wedding, and I would suggest him to anyone and everyone. View his site here: http://www.sewellshouse.co.uk/

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a fun little cake! Looks like a candy heart :)

I've a Canon S95, just a little point & shoot, but it is amazing. I've heard that Canon point & shoots are better, but yeah, the Nikons take the cake (no pun intended) in the DSLR range. I want one. I've been following Michael Sewell's work since you posted that brilliant umbrella shot from your wedding :) Stateside, you may also like Maureen Light's work. She just got a new D7000. *sigh*

Anonymous said...

What a lovely and cute cake :)