Pages

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

The Battle of the Chestnut Puree

Well I am currently on a cooking binge. After being in a dorm room with only a microwave I am a little eager to play around with 'real' food again.

I found this recipe for Chestnut Stuffing I wanted to make for Christmas, but alas its too late to try and order Chestnut Puree... so I borrowed a recipe online and tried to make it.

Th adventure started two days ago, when I began roasting chestnuts in the oven. A word to the wise, make sure that incision you make to let steam escape is large enough. Exploded chestnut pieces are not fun to try and dig out of the bottom of the oven.

Once roasted, I shelled the nuts, which was an adventure in itself. I am not patient or delicate enough for that task. Several cuts and an hour later, I finally had a bowl of shelled chestnuts ready for puree.

Well it was my first day off of work in forever, so I got lazy and hung out on the couch for a while. Then decided I better move on to the next step and simmer the chestnuts in the milk and water mixture the recipe called for. After about five minutes of simmering I realized that I didn't have enough time to puree it before having to head to work. So I plopped everything in the fridge and swore I would continue as soon as I got home.

I got back from work at midnight....chestnut puree didn't happen.

Alas today, I finally simmered the chestnuts and am currently letting them cool. Next I am supposed to throw them in a food processor and then freeze all the excess. (I kinda made a lot more than I wanted to)

Cross your fingers for me. This better work!

No comments: